Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Bloody Experience

I wrote about the first time I gave blood here so I figured, why not write about the second time! Although the second time wasn't as successful, as you will soon discover... here goes...

A friend and I were supposed to go out for coffee and she said she was giving blood after school. I said I was too and we realized we were going to the same drive. So we went together. I had made an appointment for six ox'clock, not realized I would get there so early. I "read" the information booklet (way too graphic for my tender Bais Yaakov mind) and took a seat. The drive we went to was MAJORLY understaffed and only four donations seats were set up.

I waited for what seemed like HOURS til I was called in for questions. I went through the whole song and dance of answering my name, birthday, address and age and handed in my donation card (O Positive!) And then, the lady asked for my parental form because I am not 17 (ok, now you know my age). I explained that I had already given before. She said I needed the form. I asked if I could call my mother and have her speak with my mother. She said I needed a form. I stormed out of the cubicle, ranting to the girl I came with. I called my mother who said it was kinda stupid. But I ended up going home to get my form because I did not wait all that time to not give blood. I went home, got the form, returned to the drive and put up a whole stink that I needed to go back... I was first... half an hour later.

After answering the questions AGAIN and taking the quiz (which I think all respectable Bais Yaakov girls should be excused from) I went to the waiting area to give blood. Twenty minutes later I sat down in a right armed chair even though I gave left armed the last time. The needle was SO painful as it went in. Now you are expecting me to say I passed out, but NOPE! I don't really do that. It just REALLY REALLY hurt... My friend brought me apple juice, and only after I started drinking did I think to look for a hechsher, and guess what! It wasn't kosher. The blood drive, IN A SHUL (well, not a frum one AT ALL) was serving NON KOSHER APPLE JUICE! My friend called her rabbi to see if it was ok, i called my sister, was texting meanwhile, pumping with my right arm and freaking out cuz I was late to work... And then the lady who was taking the blood said my blood wasn't coming out. I was ready to plotz. She rearranged the needle (OW!) and eventually, after a bit more rearranging, said my blood was no good because it wasn't coming out. After two and half hours of waiting I only filled the bag 3/4 of the way.

Then, after not drinking anything except one small waterbottle for two hours, I went to work till 10:30, didnt eat anything real, besides for the cookies at the drive (which were kosher) until around 11. I was up til one in the morning, and til today, I have a bruise on my arm... I had a lot of fun showing it to my friends in school and watching them squirm... *evil laugh*

So even though it wasn't a successful donation, I knew Hashem was testing me. It was hard to keep my cool, but on the bright side, my blood may be used for something like testing and I can give again in less than two months! And I did learn a lot from this drive....

1. If your sister says she had to wait two hours to give, don't go to the same drive
2. CONSTANTLY DRINK! I hadn't which probably was why my blood wasn't coming out.
3. ALWAYS CHECK ANYTHING BEFORE EATING! Since moving to my current location I have gotten really comfortable knowing everything I eat is kosher and I can go to an all-kosher supermarket and everything I touch is kosher, but as always, I still should check.

In the end, it wasn't so great, but Baruch Hashem, I did learn a few things... and I have an awesome story to tell and a beautiful (not so purple anymore) bruise to show off...

And that my friends was my bloody experience... Hope you didn't pass out!

2 comments:

  1. yikes! that's a crazy experience! i HATE that horrible feeling when you realize something you ate wasn't kosher whenit should have been :( But Yasher Koach in taking itall in stride! Hashem's proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should remember that when a Jew does a mitzvah, they get schar halicha, rewarded for whatever it took to travel/get there, even if they don't achieve! Success is in Hashem's hands, you just have to try!! And try you sure did!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

2011 (1) 49 (1) 5772 (1) acceptance (1) adar (1) adult (1) age (1) aish video (1) aish.com (1) alive (1) america (1) animals (1) apology (1) art (1) attack (1) bad for shidduchim (1) balloons (1) bar yochai (1) baud hamikdash (1) beasts (1) beauty (1) beginning (1) belief (2) benefit for bentzi (1) bentzi (1) black (1) black and white (1) black friday (1) bleed (1) bless (1) blessing (1) blood (4) boil (1) bomb (1) boston (1) boy (3) boyfriend (1) boys (1) breaking glass (1) breathe (1) broken (1) Building (2) burning (1) bus (1) buses (1) camera (1) cameron duncan (1) Camp Simcha (8) camp simcha special (1) cancer (1) candy (1) carboload (1) chai lifeline (5) chaim schvarcz (1) challenges (1) chances (2) change (4) channukka (1) chanuka (1) Chanukah (2) chayeinu (1) chesed (1) child (2) children (1) chizuk (1) choice (1) choices (1) chosson (1) christmas (1) chupah (1) cinema (1) class (1) climbing mountains (1) clock (1) close (1) clouds (1) cold (1) color (1) confusion (1) connected (1) Conversation 4 (1) convert (1) count (2) cousins (1) cry (1) CT (1) cyber monday (1) dance (2) danielle (1) danielle zfat (1) dating (3) davening (2) day (1) deals (1) death (6) decision (1) decisions (4) defying gravity (1) desire (1) desires (1) destruction (1) details (1) different (2) diploma (1) direction (1) disconnect (1) donation (1) dr. seuss (1) dreams (2) driving (1) dying (1) education (1) egged (1) eight days (1) El Al (1) emotion (1) emuna (3) end (1) end of the world (1) engaged (1) Eretz Yisroel (2) explosion (1) facebook (1) facebook nation (1) fairies (1) faith (2) family (1) fear (1) feelings (2) fieldn war zone (1) fighting (1) finish line (1) fire (1) flag (3) flags (1) flight (1) fluff (1) flying (2) Fogel (1) fools (1) forest (1) forever (1) forgiveness (1) freedom (2) friend (3) friends (5) friendship (2) future (3) G-d (2) gadol (1) games (1) gashmius (1) Gatorade (1) gila rina (1) girl (2) give (1) giving (1) going away (1) gone (1) good (1) goodbye (1) google (1) graduation (1) graffiti (1) greeks (1) greeting (1) grin (1) grow (2) growing (3) growth (2) hannukah (1) hanukah (1) happiness (8) happy (2) Hashem (16) head (1) heart (8) heaven (1) hell (1) hello (1) help (2) helping (1) hide (2) holding (1) holiday (1) home (5) honey (1) hot (1) hours (1) hurt (2) hush (1) ice (1) imagination (1) indecisive (1) independence (2) infinite (1) ing (1) innocence (1) insanity (1) insomnia (1) intellect (1) introspection (1) Israel (9) israel day parade (1) israeli flag (2) itamar (2) jerusalem (2) Jewish (1) jewish action (1) jewish geography (1) jewish novels (1) jewsic passover music video (1) job (1) judaism (1) Judgment (2) kallah (1) klal yisroel (1) LA (1) lag baomer (1) language (1) learn (1) learning (1) legacy (1) lessons (3) life (17) life support (1) light (2) limbo (1) list (1) little leaf (1) lives (1) living (1) look (1) los angelos (1) loss (3) lost (1) love (6) lying (1) magic (1) Mamilla (1) Mamilla Mall (1) man (1) marathon (2) marriage (2) mask (2) masquerade (1) math (1) maybe (1) mazel tov (2) Me (2) meetings (1) meme (1) memories (1) memory (1) Mercy (1) meron (1) messages (1) miami (2) milk (1) mime (1) mind (2) miracle (1) miracles (2) mirror (1) missing (3) Mitzvos (1) mohel (1) mold (1) monkey bars (1) months (1) morality (1) morley (2) morning (1) moshiach (1) movie (1) murder (1) music (1) natural (1) nature (1) neo-chassid (1) neo-chassidus (1) neochassid (1) neochassidus (1) new (1) Newtown (1) night (1) no (1) novel (1) now (1) o (1) oil (1) omek hadavar (1) omer (1) orthodox jews (1) others (1) pace (1) pain (2) palm trees (1) passover (1) past (1) paste (1) people (1) personal (1) personality (1) pesach (2) peter pan (1) place (1) poem (1) poetic (1) poetry (1) Pop Chassid (1) popchassid (1) pot (1) prayer (2) present (1) pressure (1) pretend (2) priorities (1) prism (1) problem (1) professional (1) profile (1) psychology (1) pulse (1) purge (1) question (1) questions (3) quiet (1) quote (1) rabbi akiva (1) race (2) rashbi (1) reading (1) reality (1) recycle (1) redeem (1) redemption (3) related (1) reminders (1) repentance (1) resume (1) return (2) revelation (1) rise (1) road trip (1) roads (1) rogue (1) roller coaster (1) Rosh Hashana (1) round tuit (1) ruin (1) rules (1) run (4) running (1) rushing (1) sad (1) sadness (1) sales (1) Sandy Hook (1) schizo (1) schizophrenia (1) school (2) searching (1) seasons (1) secrets (1) sefira (2) Shabbos (5) shadchan (1) shakespeare (1) shavuos (2) sheva brachos (1) shidduch (3) shidduch crisis (1) shidduch profile (1) shidduch resume (1) shidduchim (2) shield (1) shochet (1) shooteast (1) Shooting (2) sickness (1) silence (3) simcha (1) sing (1) slavery (1) sleep (2) smile (2) smiling (3) smoke (1) sneakers (1) snow (2) soaring (1) sobiech (1) social network (1) society (1) soul (4) spark (1) speaking (2) speical (1) stain (1) staircase (1) starbucks (2) status update (1) stoppard (1) strangers (1) street (1) street art (1) strength (2) strong (1) struggle (1) stuggling (1) stupid (1) suffering (1) sukkah (1) sukkos (1) summer (1) sunglasses (1) superhero (1) survive (1) swimming (1) talk (1) teacher (2) tears (1) technology (1) teenager (1) tefilla (1) tel aviv (1) terror (1) teshuva (1) texting (1) thanks (1) thanksgiving (1) the purge (1) the purge movie (1) the purge trailer (1) thinking (2) thunder (1) tightrope (1) time (5) tired (2) top ten (1) torah (3) tragedy (1) trailer (1) travel (2) tree (1) tricks (1) truth (1) trying (2) tuesday (1) tuesday tunes (1) tunes (1) twitter (1) uncertainty (1) understanding (1) unite (1) unity (1) unspoken (1) video (1) voices (1) waiting (2) watch (1) wavin'g flags (1) waving (3) waving flags (2) wayfarers (1) wedding (4) week (1) weird (1) whatsapp (1) Who am I? (1) why (1) wicked (1) wishes (2) wonder (3) wondering (2) wonderland (1) words (2) world (1) wrist (1) wristwatch (1) writing (1) x-mas (1) xmas (1) year (2) Yerushalayim (3) yeshivishe (1) Yetzer Hara (2) yetzer tov (1) yevanim (1) Yirmiyahu (1) Yom Kippur (2) yom tov (1) yom yerushalayim (2) youtube (1) zach (1) zach sobiech (1)
free counters